Who we are? How do we understand who we are? How do we identify with images? How do we make meaning?
- signs -how we understand signs?
- Signifier -> <-Signification <- ->Signified
The signifier and signified are arbitrary -> no connection between the word and the image in your mind
CAT, KEDI, KIANWA, PISICA, 猫 (Mao)
You can remember learning a new set of signifiers, but not the firs one.
Signification just happens
Roland Barthes: denotation + conotation
How we make meaning in the world? We are told how to do it.
Myths = stories shared in a culture that aren’t true… until the point you start believing them
- myths are built on binnary opposition
- discuss in terms of myths: The Prodigy – Smack my bitch up, recod the conversation and post it on a member’s PDP -checked
- write a short self appraisal; myself as a girl in the frame of myths, do I and how do I identify as a girl? – checked